- Do I need car insurance?
- Car Insurance Information
- Types of Car Insurance
- Comprehensive Car Insurance
- Comprehensive vs Third Party
- CTP Insurance
- Save Money On Car Insurance
- Switching Car Insurance
- Agreed vs Market Value
- Find The Best Car Insurance
- Tips for First Time Drivers
- Buying car insurance
- Seniors car insurance
- Car insurance excess
- Car insurance Victoria
- Car insurance NSW
- Car insurance Tasmania
- Car insurance ACT
- Car insurance Queensland
- Car Insurance Terminology
Switching Car Insurance
When it comes to car insurance, it’s all about choice. If you’ve reviewed your policy and found it no longer suits your needs or budget, or if you’ve found a better deal elsewhere, it might be time to switch insurers. Here’s what you need to know.
Why ditch and switch?
There are many reasons you may choose to switch insurers, including:
• Your circumstances have changed. You’ve moved, bought a new car, added a driver, or just turned 50.
• You’re eligible for other discounts. Based on your age and driving history, you may qualify for significant discounts with a new policy.
• You want better value. Perhaps your current policy worked for you in the past, but no longer provides the coverage you need.
• You’re paying more than you should. You’ve been claim-free for a year or more but your rates haven’t budged.
• You want better customer service. You’re experiencing poor communication with your insurer and/or difficulties when making a claim.
How to break up with your insurer
If you’re ready to switch, give your current insurer a call. In most cases, they can perform the cancellation for you over the phone, giving you a full refund of any unused premiums less any applicable cancellation fees. Be sure to get written proof of cancellation for your records.
Always plan for a seamless transition. For example, if your old policy will expire on 30 June at midnight, be sure to activate the new policy on or before that date. Otherwise you could find yourself in an insurance void, leaving you financially vulnerable if something goes wrong.
Your money, your choice
No matter where you live in Australia, it’s your right to shop around for the best Comprehensive Car Insurance or Third Party cover you can find.
Insurers are a bit like snowflakes – no two are the same. So, be sure to review your policy at renewal time and compare every quote to make sure you’re getting value for money.
Some quick tips
• Always check how long it will take for your new policy to be activated.
• Be sure to activate your new policy before your old one is cancelled, to avoid coverage gaps.
• Check the terms and conditions of your current policy to see if cancellation fees apply.
• Regularly review your car insurance to see what competitors are offering.
• Always compare policies to find the highest value coverage for your budget.
When it comes to car insurance, it’s good to know you have options. Get a quick and easy online quote with iSelect’s car insurance comparison tool, or call iSelect HQ on 13 19 20 and let one of our consultants help you find the right policy.