Our privacy commitment
iSelect is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information. This policy explains how iSelect manages the personal information that we collect, use and disclose and how to contact us if you have any further queries about our management of your personal information. This policy does not cover personal information collected or held by iSelect Ltd or any of its related bodies corporate (as applicable) about its employees.
iSelect is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (and applicable State and Territory health privacy legislation), which regulate how we may collect, use, disclose and store personal information, and how individuals may access and correct personal information held about them.
How does iSelect collect and hold your personal information?
We will only collect personal information about you by lawful and fair means. We usually collect personal information directly from you (or from someone you’ve authorised to deal with us on your behalf), for example when:
- you enquire about or seek a quote for a product or service we sell;
- you apply for or purchase a product available through iSelect;
- you contact us by telephone, via mail, e-mail or online;
- you visit our website (including when you request a quote);
- we supply any other products or services to you; or
- you enter into or participate in any promotions, competitions, specials or other offers with iSelect.
We may collect personal information:
- from other companies, such as other companies that provide comparison services, if you have been referred to us by them;
- from marketing and similar lists we obtain from third parties;
- from third parties to enhance the quality of the personal information that we hold.
If we collect personal information about you from a third party, we will only do so using fair and lawful means and if we or the third party have received your consent to the disclosure.
If you provide us with personal information about another person (such as a family member), it’s important that you let the person know we have collected their information and that they can ask to access and correct the information we hold about them.
What kinds of personal information does iSelect collect and hold?
The kinds of personal information that we collect and hold about you will depend on the circumstances in which it is being collected, including whether we collect the information from you as a customer, participating provider, contractor, stakeholder, job applicant or in some other capacity.
If you request a quote for a product or service offered by our participating providers, we may collect your name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth and any other information that we need to be able to provide you with the quote. For example, if you wish to obtain a quote for health insurance, we’ll ask you for basic information about your family circumstances, pre-existing health conditions and general health care needs. With this information we’ll be able to provide you with a comparison of policies that meet your needs. The information we collect will vary depending on the products you’re interested in. If you decide to apply for or buy a product through us, we’ll ask you for additional information so that we can complete your request. Where it is lawful and practicable to do so, we will allow you to remain anonymous or use a pseudonym.
If you deal with us in some other capacity (for example, as a participating provider, a supplier or a stakeholder), we may collect your name, contact details and any other information you choose to provide to us.
Any personal information that you provide via our website or contact centre (for example, for comparison purposes, to obtain a quote or to purchase products) is collected and stored by iSelect.
To provide some of our services, we may need to collect and hold your sensitive information (such as medical or certain lifestyle information). This may be necessary, for example, if you wish to obtain a comparison quote on health or life insurance. We will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent.
Some of the products offered by our participating providers can cover more than one person (for example, family and couples health insurance policies that cover two or more people). If you provide us with information about your partner or a dependant, you must obtain that person’s permission to give us the information and inform them of this policy.
If we are not able to collect your personal information, or if you provide us with incorrect or incomplete information, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services or do business with you or the organisation with which you are connected.
How does iSelect use your personal information?
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information so that we can:
- provide you with our services and products;
- assess your eligibility for the products and services that you’re interested in, including any special offers you’ve redeemed in connection with your purchase;
- in the case of some products such as home and contents insurance, to let you know that your product is due for renewal and to arrange for it to be renewed;
- verify your identity and manage any enquiries or complaints you have after you’ve used our services or purchased a product through us;
- let you know about other products, services or promotional offers that we think may be of interest to you;
- ensure we comply with the requirements of our participating providers;
- conduct research and analysis to improve our understanding of your interests in relation to our services and offers, including improving our data analytics capability to provide our customers with better comparisons;
- develop insights from our interactions with our customers to enhance our services and the way we deliver them so that we can keep on meeting the needs of our customers;
- analyse your interactions and use of our online services to understand the effectiveness of our marketing initiatives;
- maintain and improve our customer service by monitoring our service for quality control, quality and training purposes;
- consider job applicants for current and future employment;
- manage our relationships with our participating providers, suppliers and stakeholders;
- manage our internal business, in particular financial management, reporting and accounting; and
- meet our regulatory and legal obligations.
We may also use your information for other purposes required or authorised by or under law, including purposes for which you have provided your consent.
In what circumstances will iSelect disclose your personal information?
If you decide to apply for or buy a particular product through iSelect, we’ll share your information with the product provider so that we can complete the sale or application. For some products that we compare, such as travel insurance and credit cards, we’ll send your personal information directly to the product provider so that you can complete your purchase or submit your application directly with the provider. If the provider contacts you directly, they may provide us with information collected from you for the purposes described in this policy.
We use service providers to help us provide our comparison services and to conduct our day to day business activities. We take steps to ensure that all our service providers agree to protect the privacy and security of your personal information, and that they only use it for the purposes in this policy, or any collection notice that we provide to you at the time we collect your personal information.
These service providers generally help us by:
- helping us fulfil customer offers and to manage competitions that we run from time to time;
- processing payments for some purchases made on the iSelect website;
- operating a call centre that allows us to provide our services during extended hours;
- providing us with software so that we can run comparisons and provide you with our services;
- keeping records related to the services we provide and, if you decide to buy through us, your purchase of the product;
- monitoring our telephone calls for quality control and training purposes so we can keep improving our customer service;
- providing us with our office management software, such as email;
- providing us with software that supports communication between our IT systems, including Australian-hosted cloud services; and
- supporting our electronic direct marketing activities, such as sending our marketing emails.
Some of the service providers are located overseas. This means we may disclose personal information to overseas providers who are located in Fiji, the Philippines, India, Japan and the United States.
We also share personal information with other companies within the iSelect group for the purposes we’ve already mentioned.
We use personal information to inform you about products and services offered by iSelect and our business partners, which we think may be of interest to you. When we contact you it may be by mail, telephone, email, SMS or social media. Information about how to opt-out of receiving marketing material from us is set out below.
If you want to know how we obtained your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer using the details provided below.
How can you opt out of receiving direct marketing?
You can let us know at any time if you do not want the personal information we hold about you to be used or disclosed for direct marketing purposes, or you do not wish to be contacted in any of the above ways, by contacting us. In some circumstances we may need to contact you to obtain additional information, to verify your identity or to clarify your request.
Use of Government Identifiers
Depending on the service you’ve asked that we provide, we may collect government-related identifiers, such as Medicare numbers, or a driver’s licence number. We collect such details only where it is lawful to do so. We do not use government-related identifiers as our own identifier of individuals.
Data quality and Security
We may store your information in hardcopy and/or in electronic form. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is protected from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
This may include a range of systems and communication security measures, as well as the secure storage of hard copy documents. In addition, access to your personal information will be restricted to those properly authorised to have access.
We rely on the personal information we hold in conducting our business. Therefore, it is very important that the information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you believe that your personal information is inaccurate, incomplete, out of date, and irrelevant or misleading, please contact our Privacy Officer using the details provided below and we’ll correct that information within 30 days of receiving any information we need to make the change.
Before we correct your personal information, we’ll need to verify and confirm your identity. If someone makes the request on your behalf, we will require your prior written consent or we will contact you directly to collect your consent.
If we don’t agree that the information needs to be corrected, we’ll write to let you know why. If that occurs, you can ask us to include a statement with the information that says you believe it’s inaccurate, incomplete, out of date, irrelevant or misleading.
Website usage and Cookies
Our website is professionally hosted and operates in a secure environment. You should however be aware that there is always an inherent risk in transmitting your personal information via the Internet.
Cookies are pieces of information that a website downloads to your computer to record your preferences while you browse. Other technologies that may be used by iSelect include web beacons (which may operate in conjunction with cookies). The information collected through these technologies may be used by iSelect to improve and customise your experience on our website. In addition, we collect aggregated non-personally identifiable data from our website to help us maintain and improve delivery of the iSelect online service, to provide a consistent experience and targeted marketing. This aggregated information assists iSelect to improve content and website navigation.
You can configure your web browser to reject and block cookies. If you decide to delete or block certain cookies, your experience on our website may be limited.
When you visit any of our online resources, our system may collect information about your visit for statistical purposes, including:
- server address;
- top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.);
- the date and time of your visit to the site;
- the pages you accessed and documents downloaded during your visit;
- the previous site you visited;
- if you’ve visited our site before; and
- the type of browser used.
Links to third party sites
We provide links to third party websites from our website. We are not responsible for the content or privacy practices or policies of these third party websites.
These links are provided for your convenience and do not represent iSelect’s endorsement of any linked third party website. We recommend that you review the privacy policies of these third parties prior to providing them with your personal information.
How you can access or correct your personal information
You can request access to the personal information we hold about you by contacting our Privacy Officer using the details provided below. Within about 2 business days of receiving your request, we will let you know if we need additional information to process your request and how long we’ll take.
You can expect to have access to the information within 30 days of providing us with the information we need to find your personal information. Before we make your personal information available to you, we’ll need to verify and confirm your identity. If someone makes the request on your behalf, we will require your prior written consent or we will contact you directly to collect your consent.
In some circumstances we may refuse to give you access to some or all information you have requested. For example, where we have been unable to verify and confirm your identity, if providing access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others; or giving access would reveal evaluative information in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process.
If we deny or restrict access to the information you have requested, we will give you written reasons for this decision when we respond to your request.
In most cases, access to your personal information will be provided free of charge. There may be circumstances where, because of the nature of your request, we might need to charge a fee to cover the time we’ll need to spend collating your personal information or putting it in a format that we’re able to send it to you (whether at your request or to maintain the security of the information). We will let you know before we start working on your request so that you can make an informed decision.
How you can make a privacy complaint
Please contact our Privacy Officer using the details provided below if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which we have collected or handled your personal information. We will investigate your complaint and you can expect a response from us in writing within 30 days. If after our initial assessment of your complaint we decide that we need more information or that we’ll need more time to respond to you, we’ll let you know within a few days of receiving your complaint.
If you consider your privacy concerns have not been resolved satisfactorily by us, or you wish to obtain more information on privacy requirements, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or visit their website at www.oaic.gov.au.
How to contact us
- have queries, concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by iSelect;
- would like to request access to or correction of the personal information we hold about you;
294 Bay Road
Updated September 2020