Not understanding how car insurance works could leave you financially vulnerable, so it may be beneficial to have suitable coverage.
One thing that’s the same across Australia: you must have CTP insurance before you hit the road. This provides financial protection from personal liability if you injure yourself, your passengers, other drivers or pedestrians while driving.
CTP protects you from injury claims, but it won't pay for vehicle or property damage if you cause an accident. That's why you'll need to choose a Comprehensive Car Insurance or Third Party** insurance on top of your CTP cover.
Here are some things to keep in mind as you search for the right policy:
• At renewal time. Has your renewal notice arrived? Take the time to review your policy to make sure it's still the right choice for your needs and budget.
• Ask about discounts. Depending on your driving record and claims history, you may be eligible for significant discounts when taking out a new policy.
• Group your policies. If your household has multiple drivers, consider bundling all the cars into one policy and you could save on premiums.
• Before you sign. From your car's insured value to your excess, check your coverage carefully to make sure your insurance won't leave you hanging at claim time.
• Value trumps price. The cheapest policy may not cover everything you need. Compare policies to find the one that strikes the right balance between your budget and your needs.
If you don't fancy spending your weekend on car insurance sites comparing quotes, let us do the hard yards for you.
Here at iSelect, we can provide you with a thorough comparison of different policies, so you can quickly and easily find insurance cover with the inclusions you need at a price that fits your budget. And we'll do it all for free.
Get great value for money with iSelect’s car insurance comparison tool, or call iSelect HQ on 13 19 20 and let one of our consultants help you find the right policy.