Home and Contents Insurance WA

Western Australia is vulnerable to weather risks such as flooding, bushfires, storm surges and cyclones. Learn more about finding great value home and contents insurance in WA.
home & contents western australia

*iSelect does not compare to all home and contents insurers in the market. The availability of policies may change from time to time. Not all policies made available from iSelect’s providers are compared by iSelect and due to commercial arrangements, area or availability, not all policies compared by iSelect will be available to all customers. See below for our range of home and contents insurers. Some policies are only available from iSelect’s call centre or online. Our advice on this website is of general nature and does not consider your situation or needs. Consider if any advice is appropriate for you before acting on it.  Learn more.

Written by

Find out more about how we make money.

View our Privacy Policy.

Find out more about how we make money.

View our Privacy Policy.

Compare home and contents insurance the easy way*

Save time and effort by comparing a range of home and contents insurance policies with iSelect

What’s Western Australia’s average Home and Contents Insurance premium?

As the largest state in Australia, WA is comprised of tropical, dry, and mild Mediterranean climates. This type of environment can come with a variety of hazards and risks. 2

What are the benefits of Home and Contents Insurance?

The Wildflower State is not unfamiliar to some wild weather and natural hazards. When searching for a suitable policy, it may be important to consider where you live and its associated risks.

For example, in this year alone, WA has suffered through a tropical cyclone, floods, and bushfires. 1 Because of these kinds of extreme weather events, it makes sense that Western Australian homeowners and renters might want to consider a level of home and contents insurance that provides both protection for their home and dearest possessions, as well as peace of mind.

What’s Queensland’s average Home and Contents Insurance premium?

With the possibility of bushfires, flooding, cyclones, and storm surges, there are a variety of concerns to consider when living in WA. That said, it's important to note that WA occupies 32.9% of Australian land and as a result, risk can change based on your location.4

WA and Perth Home and Contents Risks:

The large size of WA and variation in climates can result in several dangerous weather events occurring simultaneously.

For example, in February 2021 there were three natural disasters occurring at the same time: the Gascoyne floods and bushfires in Wooroloo and Perth Hills. 1 Following this, the severe tropical cyclone, Seroja, damaged parts of WA. Consequently, homeowners and renters in Western Australia in cities such as Perth and Broome, may consider these factors when choosing their Home and Contents Insurance.

What does Home & Contents cover in WA?

Now, we know what you’re thinking, Home and Contents Insurance sounds very beneficial… but I don’t really get exactly what it is? And what the difference is between Home and Contents Insurance, Home Insurance, and Contents Insurance?

Home and Contents Insurance combines the features of both Home Insurance and Contents Insurance into a single policy.

This type of coverage may help homeowners to:
• Rebuild or repair their home and/or
• Replace the contents inside that property as a result of an insured event such as storms, lightning, fire and vandalism.*

What does Home Insurance in WA cover?

Home Insurance (sometimes referred to as house insurance or building insurance) generally helps cover the cost of repairing or rebuilding the physical structure of your property.

This can include:
• Brick and mortar rebuild or repairs.
• Structural repairs such as roofs, sheds, and garages on the insured property.

Insurance for your house protects your home from damage that is out of your control and may protect your home in the event of natural disasters such as storms, lightning, bushfires, and floods.*

What does Contents Insurance cover?

The Contents Insurance portion of the combined covers possessions within the home (building), as opposed to the actual building itself.

Possessions could include but are not limited to:

• Clothes
• Whitegoods, electronics, and appliances
• Furniture

These possessions are often covered from a range of natural disasters, but can also be covered from theft, accidental damage, and electrical surges (note: some policies may require you to elect these options and it may come at an added cost).

It’s important to review the insurers Product Disclosure Statement to understand exactly what’s covered and what’s excluded.
Check out the link here to find out more about contents insurance.

What factors can affect the cost of Home and Contents Insurance in WA

The cost of Home and Contents Insurance can depend on many factors, such as your chosen level of cover, your claims history, whether you're just covering home, contents, or both, and the area that you live in.

In Western Australia, your Home and Contents Insurance can differ in cost depending on the market value of your home and the value of your possessions. There are many variables considered when calculating your premium, and this could also impact your cost. These variables can include your age, the materials used to build your home, how the home is used and of course, the location.

In short, if you live in an area that’s regularly exposed to extreme weather events, then you could pay a higher premium. But as we mentioned, a range of factors are taken into account, which is why it’s important to compare policies from a range of insurers.

WA, have you considered Landlord Insurance?

Now, we all know how important it is to protect our OWN valuables, and it’s a lot easier when you’re close to your nearest and dearest. It can be a little harder when you're renting your place out to tenants, who may be a little rougher and rowdier than you. But if you want a relationship with your tenants where you hope for the best whilst expecting the worst, Landlord insurance may be your ticket to increased safety and less suspicion!

Landlord Insurance could help to cover the following events:
• Damage to your property and/or its permanent fittings and fixtures caused by tenants and their guests.
• Loss of rent as a result of a tenant defaulting on rental payments.
• Legal expenses due to a tenant dispute.
• Damage from natural risks i.e. fire, flood or explosion.
• Theft or burglary due to tenants or their guests.
• Potential loss of rent due to repairs from events causing the property to become uninhabitable.

It’s important to note that not all Landlord Insurance policies are the same and it’s a good idea to understand it further to make an informed decision. For more information on Landlord Insurance click here. Alternatively, you can give us a call on 13 19 20 to speak with our team.

How to compare Home & Contents Insurance in WA

Research, research, research!
Comparing policies and providers is one of the best ways of ensuring you find a great deal on your Home and Contents Insurance. Comparing policy features, including optional extras, as well as limitations, exclusions, and price gives you the confidence that you’re making an informed decision.
Some factors you could consider when comparing are:
• How much it would cost to repair or re-build your home in the event of a fire or storm
• What the total value of your home contents adds up to

To find your homes Home and Contents Insurance match start by comparing from a range of policies and providers with iSelect.