CTP Insurance Tasmania

Although you probably don’t think much about Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance, it provides vital financial cover for Tasmanian motorists.
Young couple opening the doors to their car

Compare car insurance policies the easy way

Save time and effort by comparing a range of car insurance quotes with iSelect*

For more about how it works and why it’s so important, here’s your guide to CTP insurance in Tasmania.

Do I need CTP insurance in Tasmania?

Not only do you need CTP insurance in Tasmania, it’s a compulsory requirement of vehicle registration in every state and territory across Australia.

How does Tasmania’s CTP insurance scheme work?

Tasmania’s CTP insurance scheme is a combined common law/no fault scheme, meaning that where personal injury is caused by a motorist’s negligence, common law damages are payable to the full extent allowed.

The Motor Accidents Insurance Board (MAIB) oversees the scheme, and you pay your CTP premium to them as part of your annual vehicle registration fee. The cost, which is determined by the vehicle type, is detailed on your registration renewal form.

Luckily for you, Tasmanian drivers are charged the lowest CTP insurance premium in Australia. In fact, as at December 2016, the CTP premium for a private motor car in Tasmania was just $314 (including GST and duties), dropping to $255 for pensioners.

What does my CTP insurance cover?

In Tasmania, CTP insurance provides ‘no fault’ compensation to the victims of motor vehicle accidents irrespective of who is responsible. Even motorists who act negligently are entitled to compensation, unless they are found to have purposefully set themselves up to be harmed.

Compensation is available to eligible drivers, passengers, motorcyclists and other road users to pay for:

  • Reasonable medical, ambulance and hospital costs, including the services of doctors and health professionals.
  • Rehabilitation expenses.
  • Loss of income.
  • Long-term care for the seriously injured.
  • Disability allowance (for people in paid employment who are unable to work).
  • In the case of fatal injuries, funeral expenses and dependency benefits (where applicable).

However, it’s important to remember that CTP insurance does not cover you for:

  • Loss or damage to property and personal effects.
  • Damage to your vehicle or any other vehicle.
  • Fire, theft or vandalism.

This is why you may need additional car insurance (Link to Do I really need car insurance?). If you couldn’t afford to pay for repairs to your car or another person’s vehicle, Comprehensive or Third Party insurance can provide the financial protection you need.

What if your vehicle is unregistered?

While off-road and recreational trail bikes, farm bikes, all-terrain vehicles, dune buggies and so on are not required to be registered, it’s in your interest to ensure you do have cover in case there’s an accident.

If there’s no up-to-date MAIB third party insurance cover on your off-road vehicle, you could end up paying compensation to any person who’s injured as the result of an accident caused by whoever is driving said vehicle.

You can arrange an MAIB premium for an unregistered vehicle through your local Service Tasmania shop or by phoning MAIB toll free on 1800 006 224.

How to make a claim

If you’re injured in a motor vehicle accident, you’re eligible for a range of benefits and services through the Tasmanian CTP scheme to help you recover from your injury.

To make a claim, you will need to carry out the following steps:

  1. Report the accident to a police officer and fill out a Notification of Accident to Police form.
  2. If you are injured, complete the Application for Scheduled Benefits form and lodge it with MAIB within 12 months of the accident.
  3. If you were involved in an accident and you believe you were partially or wholly at fault, complete a Notice of Accident form to ensure your interests are protected.

These forms are on the MAIB website.

What happens if you’re driving on the mainland?

Going on a road trip? If you’re involved in a road accident outside of Tasmania but within the Commonwealth of Australia, rest assured that you are covered by your MAIB CTP insurance so long as your vehicle is registered.

Looking for more cover? Start comparing Comprehensive Car Insurance online, or call 13 19 20 and let us help you find car insurance with the features you need at a price that fits your budget.