- Life insurance & income protection and COVID-19 FAQ
- Income Protection Insurance
- Choosing The Best Income Protection Insurance
- Is Income Protection Insurance Tax Deductible?
- Income Protection Through Superannuation
- What Is Income Protection Insurance?
- Income Protection vs Mortgage Protection
- Income Protection – A Basic Breakdown
- MLC Income Protection
- TAL Income Protection
- CommInsure Income Protection Insurance
- Life Insurance Products
- What is Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Need Life Insurance?
- How To Purchase Life Insurance
- Key Person Insurance
- Life Insurance vs Income Protection
- Life Insurance Glossary
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Life Insurance Tax Deductible?
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- AMP Life Insurance
- Best Life Insurance
- Family Life Insurance
- Income Protection & GST
- Life Insurance And Superannuation
- Life Insurance For Seniors
- MLC Life Insurance
- When Is Life Insurance Paid Out?
Income Protection Through Superannuation
Do you know how much life insurance or income protection you have through your superannuation plan? It’s important to check what’s covered through your super fund so you can compare your options and find a suitable insurance policy for your needs.
The majority of Australians who work for an employer in Australia have some level of life insurance or income protection through their superannuation fund.
Super funds typically provide up to three different types of insurance for members:
- Life insurance. Pays a lump sum benefit to your beneficiaries in the event of your death.
- Total and permanent disability (TPD) cover. Pays a lump sum benefit if you become permanently disabled and are unable to ever return to work.
- Income protection (IP) cover. Pays a monthly benefit for a specified period of time if you’re unable to work due to a temporary disability or illness.
While most employer super funds offer a basic level of cover, the benefit amounts will vary and are usually limited. For example, the default cover in your super may only provide $100,000 for life insurance, when many families today need up to $1 million or more to protect their lifestyle.
Choosing your own life insurance and IP policy
When it comes to income protection through superannuation, remember that you are in control of your policy.
Because everyone’s circumstances and requirements are different, it’s important to make sure you understand the level of cover your super fund provides. If you find your default cover isn’t adequate, you have the option to take out your own policy to cover the extra amount of cover you may need relative to your situation.
Choosing your own cover through your super offers:
- Greater control. Rather than having a default level of cover, you can choose a policy that suits your specific requirements.
- No impact on cash flow. The policy is still funded through your super, therefore there is no impact on your day-to-day cash flow.
Remember that the cost of insurance premiums is deducted from your super balance, therefore reducing the amount of money available for your retirement. You may also have to pay tax on certain insurance benefits at claim time. Always consult with your financial adviser or tax adviser for guidance on your particular situation.
*iSelect is partnered with Lifebroker (AFS Licence number: 400209) to help you compare a range of Income Protection Insurance policies. iSelect earns a commission from Lifebroker for each customer referred through the website or contact centre. Lifebroker do not compare all life insurers or policies in the market.
iSelect Life Pty Ltd – ABN 89 124 304 347, AFS Licence Number 331128. Any advice provided by iSelect is of a general nature and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You need to consider the appropriateness of any information or general advice iSelect gives you, having regard to your personal situation, before acting on iSelect’s advice or purchasing any policies. You should consider iSelect’s Financial Services Guide which provides information about iSelect services and your rights as a client of iSelect.