Mobile broadband works by using Australia’s 3G and 4G networks and is generally considered the fastest, easiest broadband connection available.
This is mainly due to the fact that it’s delivered ‘through the air’ rather than through cables, and is extremely easy to set up.
Mobile broadband can be a great option if:
• You travel a lot and need internet access on the go
• You live in an area where you can’t get a fixed-line connection, like cable or ADSL
• You need a reliable back-up to your home fixed broadband connection
• Your living situation makes committing to a plan difficult
Here are some things to consider when choosing a mobile broadband plan:
- Your location: While the speed of mobile broadband can be extremely fast (up to 200Mbps), it does depend a lot on your location and whether you get a good mobile signal.
- How much data you need: Online gaming and video streaming can burn through data quickly, so you’ll need to make sure you choose a plan that properly meets your needs (don’t worry, we can help).
- Who’s using the internet: Depending on how many people are using your internet, the mobile broadband equipment you require can vary considerably.
Connecting to the mobile network
You can access the mobile broadband network by inserting a small device – sometimes referred to as a dongle or modem – into the USB port of your computer.
Some wireless devices and tablets even come with mobile broadband pre-installed, so you might be good to go straight away.
Here’s a rundown of the tech you may need to get connected:
- SIM card: Similar to what goes into your mobile phone, this little piece of plastic fits snugly into the back of your device and connects you straight to the mobile network, wherever you are.
- Portable wireless hotspot: This is great if you’re looking to share your connection with lots of people. It’s battery operated and works well with all mobile devices – from laptops to tablets.
- Wireless Modem: Ideal for those who mainly use their mobile broadband at home, this piece of tech delivers a fast and reliable connection to Australia’s 4G network.
- Dongle: This is basically a modem, but portable. It never needs to be recharged as it connects directly to the USB port on your laptop or PC.
Ready to get started?
It’s time to find the perfect mobile broadband plan for you.
Compare internet plans now
Or give us a call on 13 19 20 to speak with one of our broadband team members today.