Compare Contents Insurance

Save time and effort by comparing a range of home and contents insurance policies with iSelect*

  • No additional cost to you
  • We can save you hours of research
  • Gain greater peace of mind

*iSelect does not compare to all home and contents insurers in the market. The availability of policies may change from time to time. Not all policies made available from iSelect’s providers are compared by iSelect and due to commercial arrangements, area or availability, not all policies compared by iSelect will be available to all customers. See below for our range of home and contents insurers. Some policies are only available from iSelect’s call centre or online. Our advice on this website is of general nature and does not consider your situation or needs. Consider if any advice is appropriate for you before acting on it.

Written by

Find out more about how we make money.

View our Privacy Policy.

Find out more about how we make money.

View our Privacy Policy.

Our range of Home and Contents partners

Our range of Home and Contents partners Our range of Home and Contents partners Our range of Home and Contents partners

View our partners

Contents Insurance

Nobody likes losing a prized possession. Whether it’s a piece of jewellery, a phone, a laptop, or even the world’s comfiest couch. Contents Insurance might be able to help cover some of the financial loss if something were to happen to them.

Are there different types of Contents Insurance policies?

With Contents Insurance, policies are typically either covered in two ways, which are ‘new-for-old’ or ‘replacement at value’.

Different types of Contents Insurance policies


Under a new-for-old policy, your insurer will cover the replacement cost of your lost, damaged or stolen items with the full cost of a new item. The monetary value of a new item can sometimes even be more than the value of the original item. These policies are typically more expensive.


If your property is located in an area with a lot of crime, or one that’s prone to flooding, it could impact the cost of your policy. You can call your local council to find out if your property is located in a flood, fire or cyclone zone

Replacement at value

Replacement at value policies can cover the value of your items at the point that they are damaged, lost or stolen. These policies are often cheaper, as the amount of cover they provide will typically drop over time, along with the depreciating value of your household items and belongings. In some cases when you claim, insurers may repair or replace the damaged items, or pay you the amount it would cost to repair or replace them.

Specific risks

if your property is at a higher risk for flooding, bushfires, or other disasters that can cause significant damage, your policy could be more expensive

Who is covered

Depending on your policy, you may be able to choose to cover just your tenants, or your tenants and their guests. If only your tenants are covered, any damage or theft by the people they invite into the home won’t be covered

Contents Insurance, with iSelect.

Learn more about how contents insurance works in this short video.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Contents Insurance?

What does Contents Insurance cover?

What isn’t covered by Contents Insurance?

How do I calculate the value of my contents?

How are Contents Insurance premiums calculated?

How can you save on Contents Insurance?

What are ‘defined events’?

What about Contents Insurance for renters?

Can I combine my Contents Insurance with home insurance?