Claiming Home And Contents Insurance

Whether you're an owner occupier, landlord or tenant, if you hold a home and/or contents insurance policy, at some stage you may need to file a claim on your policy. Keep reading to learn more about the claims process and what's typically involved.
Young woman walking into her home smiling

Compare home and contents insurance the easy way*

Save time and effort by comparing a range of home and contents insurance policies with iSelect

When can I make a home and contents insurance claim?

Home and contents claims are typically made in the event of:

  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Damage due to fire and/or explosion
  • Storm and rainwater damage
  • Accidental breakage of glass, ceramic and sanitary fixtures
  • Sudden and unexpected escape of liquid
  • Lighting damage
  • Earthquakes
  • Impact.

Home and contents claims may also be made on specific items of value (think heirloom jewellery, artworks and so on) if these have been specified on your insurance policy.

How do I make a home and contents insurance claim?

Many insurers make it simple and straightforward to make a home and contents insurance claim. Whether you are making a claim over the phone or online, you will need to provide your insurer with a few details, including:

  • Your home and contents policy number
  • Date and time of the incident or event that has resulted in loss or damage
  • Any evidence of lost or damaged items such as original receipts, photographs and so on
  • Relevant documents that support your claim, such as a police report.

Be sure to notify your insurer promptly in the event of loss or damage to your home and contents. This way, the process can get underway even if you don't have everything you'll need to finalise the claim. They may even assist in organising emergency repairs, to ensure your home building is habitable, or assist with temporary accommodation until the repairs are completed.

Claiming home and contents insurance

How do I know if I have an insurance excess?

It is likely that you will need to pay an excess on your home and contents insurance claim. Any excess payable is clearly outlined in your policy.

Have you insured your home for the correct value?

Under-insurance can have dire consequences in the event that you need to make a claim. You may not receive a payout that adequately covers your costs. You may also find that the insurer can reduce your payout in proportion to the level of under-insurance.

Compare home & contents insurance with iSelect

Click here to view iSelect’s range of home & contents providers, and select the one which suits you.