- Do I Need Car Insurance?
- Luxury Car Insurance Australia
- When To Start Your Car Insurance
- Car Insurance Information
- How Car Insurance Premiums Are Calculated
- Types of Car Insurance
- Comprehensive Car Insurance
- Comprehensive Vs. Third Party
- CTP Insurance
- Save Money On Car Insurance
- Switching Car Insurance
- Agreed Vs. Market Value
- Find The Best Car Insurance
- Tips For First Time Drivers
- Buying car insurance
- Third Party Fire and Theft Car Insurance
- Seniors car insurance
- Car Insurance Excess
- Car insurance Victoria
- Car insurance NSW
- Car insurance Tasmania
- Car insurance ACT
- Car insurance Queensland
- Car Insurance Terminology
- How To Reduce Your Car Insurance
- Third Party Property
- Overseas Imports Car Insurance
- Add A Learner Driver To Your Car Insurance
- Car Insurance For Young Drivers
Tips For First Time Drivers
Young and new drivers will often face stiff premiums when they take out car insurance for the first time. And if you look at the statistics, it’s not hard to see why.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics reports an over-representation of young drivers in the national road toll. Drivers aged under 25 years are considered twice as likely to die on our roads as the rest of the population. In fact, young males are considered, by car insurers, as the most ‘at risk’ of being involved in a motor vehicle accident.
What young drivers can do to help minimise premiums?
- Keep a clean driving record. A good driving record will help keep your premiums lower.
- Shop around. You could save yourself hundreds of dollars a year.
Quick tips for young drivers
- Compare quotes – get estimates from at least three different insurers.
- Look for insurers that specialise in policies for young drivers.
- Choose a safe, economical car – the more expensive your vehicle, the more costly your car insurance is likely to be.
- Install an appropriate safety device e.g. immobiliser, alarm and this may qualify you for a discount.
- Read the fine print of your policy and be clear on your coverage obligations.
- Report any modifications you make to your vehicle.
- Advise of changes to your personal circumstances as soon as possible.
- Consider enrolling in a safe driving course – you may even be rewarded by your insurer.
- Drive safely and commit yourself to keeping a clean driving record.
Get a car insurance quote at iSelect. Compare, Select & Save
iSelect does not compare all products in the market. Not all products are available at all times.
iSelect General Pty Limited ABN 90 131 798 126, AFS Licence Number: 334115. Any advice provided by iSelect is of a general nature and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You need to consider the appropriateness of any information or general advice we give you, having regard to your personal situation, before acting on our advice or purchasing any product. You should consider iSelect’s Financial Services Guide which provides information about our services and your rights as a client of iSelect. We receive commission for each product sold.