A Home Owner’s Guide To Home & Contents Insurance

If you’re a homeowner, having Home and Contents Insurance can help give you peace of mind when it comes to your home and prized possessions.
Young woman walking into her home smiling
*iSelect does not compare to all home and contents insurers in the market. The availability of policies may change from time to time. Not all policies made available from iSelect’s providers are compared by iSelect and due to commercial arrangements, area or availability, not all policies compared by iSelect will be available to all customers. See below for our range of home and contents insurers. Some policies are only available from iSelect’s call centre or online. Our advice on this website is of general nature and does not consider your situation or needs. Consider if any advice is appropriate for you before acting on it.

Written by

Find out more about how we make money.

View our Privacy Policy.

Find out more about how we make money.

View our Privacy Policy.

Compare home and contents insurance the easy way*

Save time and effort by comparing a range of home and contents insurance policies with iSelect

To help with finding cover, here’s some information about Home and Contents Insurance, including how it may be affected if you rent out your property. Before deciding on a policy, ensure you review the Product Disclosure Statement for specific information on policy inclusions, limitations and exclusions.

What is Home and Contents Insurance?

From fire and theft to storm damage, depending on your policy Home and Contents Insurance helps provide some protection against the unexpected.

Home and Contents Insurance is made up of two types of insurance, which cover you in different ways:

  • Home insurance. Should your home sustain damage or loss due to adverse events, such as fire or water damage, Home insurance can help cover you for the cost of repairing, rebuilding or completely replacing your home, including structural improvements and fixtures. Certain limitations can apply.
  • Contents insurance. When you’re a home owner, the value of your possessions can quickly add up. Contents insurance helps cover you for the replacement value of some personal items and effects in your home, including furniture, appliances, clothes, electronics, jewellery, artwork and more. Certain limitations can apply.

While Home and Contents insurance policies can be purchased separately, there is an option to combine them under one policy.

Ensure you review the Product Disclosure Statement for information on policy inclusions, limitations and exclusions.

home & contents home owners

Information for if you plan to rent out your property

If you’re planning to rent out your property, there are insurers who offer Landlord insurance options.

Landlord cover is designed to help cover loss, damage or destruction to your property and/or contents caused by tenants. Some policies may also provide cover for loss of rent (up to a certain amount) if your tenant defaults on their payments under a written agreement.

Bear in mind that Landlord insurance usually does not cover strata title buildings. For that, there are Strata insurance policy options.

What is strata insurance?

Strata insurance is cover for the building and common contents of strata title buildings or homes that are part of a body corporate or owners corporation.

If you own and rent out a building in an apartment complex, duplex or townhouse, depending on the policy, Strata insurance can provide cover for buildings, shared areas and contents, such as gym equipment and washing machines.

Looking for a Home and Contents Insurance policy?

If you’re ready to protect your home and valuables, compare from iSelect’s range of home & contents policies and providers*.

Last updated: 4/12/2019