- What Is The Medicare Safety Net?
- Health Insurance Claim Process
- Best Health Insurance
- Cheap Health Insurance
- Lifetime Health Cover Loading (LHC)
- Rate Rise Calculator
- Health Cover Check-Up
- Hospital & Extras Cover
- Ambulance Cover
- Dental Cover
- Pregnancy Insurance
- Health Insurance Waiting Periods
- Health Insurance Tax
- Penalties & Benefits
- How To Save On Health Insurance
- The Medicare Levy Surcharge (MLS)
- Australian Government Health Rebate
- Health Insurance Rate Rise
- The Medicare Levy
- Medical Gap Scheme
- Australian Government Rebate
- Life Stages Health Insurance
- Why Should I Get Health Insurance?
- Joining a Health Fund
- Review your health cover
- Switching Health Funds
- Finding Suitable Health Insurance
- Tips On Selecting Health Insurance
- A Better Way To Buy Health Insurance
- Participating Health Funds
- myOwn Health Insurance
- Medibank Private Health Insurance
- Frank Health Insurance
- Australian Unity
- Bupa Health Insurance
- Latrobe Health Services
- Health Partners
- Health Insurance For IVF
- What Is Crohn’s Disease?
- Private Health Insurance Tiers
- What Is Shingles?
- What Is Eczema?
- How To Discover If You Need Health Insurance
- Health Insurance & Pre-Existing Conditions
- Health Insurance Reforms
- Health Insurance FAQs
- Health Insurance Glossary
- How We Make Money
- Cancer Health Insurance
- How To Cancel Your Health Insurance
- Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculator
- Health Insurance For Cosmetic Surgery
- Health Care Insurance
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
- What Is HICAPS?
- Health Insurance For Single Parents
- Allied Health
Australian Unity is one of Australia’s oldest mutual companies1. A mutual is a company that’s owned by its members rather than shareholders2, and profits are returned to the company to fund growth and innovation.
Australian Unity can trace its origins to 1840 when a group of eight people decided to form a friendly society with the goal of looking after the health and wellbeing of its members2. More than 175 years later, the company’s focus is unchanged – to take care of its members and improve the wellbeing of Australians.
Today, Australian Unity employs more than 7,500 people and supports around one million Australians1 with health, wealth and living services.
What makes Australian Unity different?
Australian Unity has a long history of supporting the health and wellbeing of Australians. As mentioned earlier, because they’re a mutual company, all profits are reinvested back into the company to benefit members, customers and the community2; providing a quality service – rather than creating profits for shareholders.
They’re also committed to making genuine contributions to the community. Their Wellbeing Index, created in partnership with Deakin University, has measured Australians’ wellbeing since 20013. It’s regarded as the leading and most comprehensive measure of wellbeing in Australia3.
Australian Unity is also a partner of The Resilience Project4, which delivers programs to help Australians build resilience and become happier by practicing gratitude, empathy and mindfulness.
What health insurance products does Australian Unity offer?
- Private health insurance: Australian Unity offers policies for singles, couples and families. Members can manage their cover online 24/7, and don’t have to re-serve waiting periods they have previously served if they switch to Australian Unity within 30 days of leaving another fund5.
- Overseas Visitors Cover: overseas visitors are not eligible for Medicare benefits unless they’re from a country that Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Arrangement with. Often, holding an appropriate level of health insurance is a visa requirement – Australian Unity’s Overseas Visitors Cover covers international visitors for doctor and specialist fees, emergency ambulance and hospital treatment, accommodation, and theatre fees6.
What types of hospital and extras cover does Australian Unity offer?
Australian Unity offer the following hospital cover7:
- Simple Hospital (Basic Plus): Hospital cover for accidents, including emergency ambulance
- Standard Hospital (Bronze Plus): Emergency ambulance, joint reconstructions, eye surgery (excluding cataracts).
- Intermediate Hospital (Silver Plus): As above, as well as rehabilitation and heart and vascular system.
- Advanced Hospital (Silver Plus): As above, as well as joint replacements, and pregnancy and birth.
- Ultimate Hospital (Gold): As above, as well as hospital psychiatric services.
They also offer the following extras cover8:
- Basic Extras: Claim up to $950 per person per year for basic extras such as general dental and physio.
- Standard Extras: Claim up to $1200 on extras per person, per year for standard extras such as general, complex and major dental, physio and optical.
- Intermediate Extras: Claim up to $3400 on extras per person per year and get $600 back on general and preventative dental, or $800 back on complex or major dental.
- Classic Extras: Claim up to $6730 on extras per person, per year for extras such as general dental, major dental, physio, optical, and other therapies.
- Advanced 80% Extras: Claim up to $8500 on extras, no yearly limit for preventative dental, get up to $3100 back on general dental, major dental and orthodontics.
Finally, their hospital and extras packages include9:
- Simple Saver (Basic Plus): General dental, physio, and hospital cover for accidents.
- Simple Hospital (Basic Plus) And Basic Extras: General dental, physio, optical, hospital cover for accidents.
- Smart Start (Basic Plus): General dental, physio, optical and more, hospital cover for accidents, day surgeries.
- Standard Hospital (Bronze Plus) And Standard Extras: General and major dental, physio, optical, natural therapies, emergency ambulance, joint reconstructions and more.
- Intermediate Hospital (Silver Plus) And Standard Extras: General and major dental, physio, optical, natural therapies, emergency ambulance, joint reconstructions, rehabilitation and heart and vascular system.
- Intermediate Hospital (Silver Plus) And Intermediate Extras: As above, with higher extras limits.
- Top Choice (Silver Plus): Pay only half the excess for day surgeries, heart-related services, eye procedures, hip and knee replacements
- Classic Hospital (Silver Cover) And Classic Extras: As above with a higher limit on extras.
- Ultimate Hospital (Gold) And Advanced 80% Extras: 80% back on the widest range of extras, no yearly limit on preventative dental, rehabilitation, joint replacements, pregnancy and birth and more.
What types of extras-only cover does Australian Unity offer?
Australian Unity offers five levels of extras-only cover8:
- Basic extras: offers up to $950 back per year, per person, on a range of simple extras treatments
- Bronze extras: offers up to $1,200 back per year, per person, on the most common extras
- Silver extras: offers up to $3,400 back per year, per person, on a broad range of extras
- Gold extras: offers up to $6,730 back per year, per person, on a comprehensive range of extras
- Platinum 80%: offers up to $8,500 back per year, per person on an extensive range of extras
Can I get hospital-only cover with Australian Unity?
Yes, Australian Unity offers a range of hospital-only insurance policies – from basic cover through to pregnancy and platinum hospital cover9.
What is Australian Unity’s Overseas Visitor Cover?
If you’re on a working or holiday visa, you’re unlikely to be eligible to receive Medicare benefits unless you come from a country that Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Arrangement with. Australian Unity’s Overseas Visitors Cover meets the Australian Government’s 457 visa requirements10 and helps international visitors who:
- Have a visa that requires them to hold health insurance
- Want to be covered for medical treatments and emergencies while in Australia
- Don’t have travel insurance that covers their medical expenses
How do I make a claim with Australian Unity?
Australian Unity offers members a choice of flexible ways to make a claim:
- On the spot: if your extras provider has a HICAPS machine, you can swipe your Australian Unity membership card at the time of payment to make a claim on the spot
- Using the Australian Unity mobile app: you can claim up to $300 when you upload photos of your receipts using their mobile app, or via the Australian Unity website
- Over the phone: if you’d like help with completing your claim form, you can call 1800 807 144 for assistance
- By mail, email or fax: once you’ve completed a claim form and attached your receipts, you can post, email or fax them through to Australian Unity
How do I become an Australian Unity health insurance member?
You can apply for Australian Unity private health insurance using our simple and secure online application, or call us 13 19 20 and one of our health insurance experts can take you through the application process.
If you’re not sure whether Australian Unity is the right health fund for you, we can help you to compare policies and find one that suits your needs and budget.
We don’t compare all health insurance providers or policies in the market. The availability of policies will change from time to time. Not all policies available from our partners are compared by iSelect and due to commercial arrangements, your stated needs and circumstances, not all policies compared by iSelect will be available to all customers. Some policies are available only from our call centre and others are available only from our website. Click here to view our range of providers.