No matter which Australian state or territory you live in, there's no avoiding it – you must have CTP insurance as part of your car's registration. This covers personal liability should you injure someone in an accident – be it yourself, your passengers, other drivers or pedestrians.
Unlike NSW, Queensland and the ACT, where you can choose your preferred CTP provider, CTP insurance in Victoria is administered by the TAC (Transport Accident Commission). The fee is automatically included in your car's registration.*
While you are automatically covered for CTP in your registration, it won't pay for damages to your vehicle or another person’s property if you cause a fender bender.
That's why you need to purchase Comprehensive or Third Party** insurance on top of your CTP cover.
Here are some tips for getting a good deal on your policy:
• Review, review, review. Be sure to review your policy and compare it to what the competition is offering when it’s time to renew. You might find a better deal.
• Save where you can. Good driver ratings move with you, so be sure to shop around. You may be eligible for a maximum discount when taking out a new policy.
• Bundle of savings. If you have multiple drivers all living under one roof, bundling the cars into one policy could save you cash.
• Read the details. Make sure you understand your coverage to avoid any nasty surprises. For example, is your car insured for market value or agreed value? Can you choose your own repairer? Does the excess change depending on who's driving the car?
• Don't skimp on value. A cheap policy won't save you money if it doesn't have the inclusions you need. Compare policies to find that one that suits your budget and your needs.
We understand you’ve got better things to do than spend your time comparing quotes. So why not let us do the hard work for you?
iSelect can provide you with a no-cost comparison of different policies to help you find cover with the inclusions you need at a price that fits your budget.
Our friendly consultants will provide general advice if and when you need it – and all at no cost.
Get great value for money with iSelect’s handy car insurance comparison tool, or call iSelect HQ on 13 19 20 and let one of our consultants find you the right policy.