- High Speed Internet
- Fast Internet
- Internet Plans
- Internet Providers
- National Broadband Network (NBN)
- DSL Internet
- ADSL Internet
- ADSL2+ Internet
- Naked DSL
- Cable Internet
- Wireless Broadband
- Dial Up Internet
- Mobile Broadband
- Internet Deals
- Cheap Internet Plans
- Internet Bundles
- Internet Speeds
- Internet Usage
- Internet FAQ
- Internet Glossary
How to Choose the Right NBN Plan?
You probably already know that the National Broadband Network (NBN) is your ticket to fast, reliable internet. But did you know you can choose from different NBN speeds?
Because everybody uses the internet in a different way, finding the best NBN plan for you means getting the right amount of data, at the right speed, for your individual needs and budget.
Whether you’re into online gaming, are hooked on your streaming service, or just need to send a few emails, this handy guide to NBN speeds and data may help you find the right plan for your household.
NBN Data and bandwidth
In a nutshell, bandwidth describes how much data can be transferred across the network to your device over a specific period.
It’s expressed in megabits per second (Mbps), and the more you have, the more efficient your service will be. Therefore, you should be able to download email attachments; stream music, movies and TV shows; and upload images or videos to social media faster and easier.
All of these activities also use up data, therefore requirements in this area will vary from household to household.
If there are a number of people in your household using the internet at one time to download, upload and stream, you may want to look around for a good data package.
If there are only one or two people in your household and you mainly use the web for browsing, emails and occasional videos, you may be able to get by on a cheaper plan with less data.
What’s the Right NBN Broadband Speed?
The good news is, with NBN connections becoming available across the country, it looks like all that pesky buffering may soon be a thing of the past.
With a range of speeds on offer you can choose a broadband plan to suit your lifestyle and budget.
First, you have to think about what you use the internet for. Do you often stream high-definition movies and TV shows late into the night? Love to blow off steam with a bit of online gaming? Is there likely to be more than one person online at once? Do you often need to download or upload large files when working from home?
The wholesale speed options offered by the NBN Co work like this:
- nbn™ 12. This is the basic option, which is suitable for households with basic phone or internet usage. Although, this plan is very similar to what many households or businesses in Australia currently experience on ADSL 2+.
- nbn™ 25. Even at the lower end, this NBN speed is still superfast. If you’re a light user who mainly goes online to send emails, check the weather and news updates, and stream a few videos, this speed may be suitable for you.
- nbn™This could be a good option for bigger households where more than one person will be using the net at a time. It’s great for streaming in high definition, online gaming and downloading or uploading big files.
- nbn™ 100. The fastest NBN option is best suited to heavy users, and won’t let you down even if your extended family is over and everyone wants to jump online at once. This is also the best speed for 4K video streaming, super responsive online gaming and uploading or downloading massive files.
Bear in mind that these are the wholesale speeds offered by NBN, and that different service providers will design their plans around these speeds.
Be sure to consider your individual needs and compare all offers carefully before committing to a plan.