- Annual Travel Insurance
- Finding The Best Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Domestic Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Travel Insurance Japan
- Travel Insurance France
- Travel Insurance USA
- Travel Insurance Brazil
- Travel Insurance Bali
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Insurance For Italy
- Travel Insurance Thailand
- Travel Insurance For New Zealand
- Tips For Travelling
- Travel Insurance China
- Travel Insurance For Singapore
- Cheap Flights: An Ultimate Guide
- Travel Insurance For The United Kingdom
- Travel Vaccinations
- Travel Insurance Europe
- Travel Insurance South Africa
- Family Travel Insurance
- Seniors Travel Insurance
- Solo Travel Tips
- Ski Travel Insurance
- Vacation & Holiday Ideas
- Travel Insurance For India
- Travel Insurance Canada
- Travel Insurance For Pre-Existing Conditions
- Multi-Trip Travel Insurance
Vacation & Holiday Ideas For You & The Family
When it comes to vacations, one of the hardest decisions to make is where to go. Taking a few days or a week and using up some annual leave is ideal for squeezing in a short trip and having a good time with friends or family, but when time is so limited, how do you choose a destination?
In this article, we’ll discuss a few trip ideas and some of the most popular travel destinations, as well as what you can do in each place.
Long holiday trip ideas
Maybe you’ve saved your leave up for a longer holiday, and you want to go somewhere new and exciting for a week or two. If so, the following long holiday trips are perfect for getting away and relaxing.
Be the first to greet the rising sun each day on the beautiful islands of Samoa1. A country split between two main islands, Samoa provides guests with a relaxed holiday, breathtaking views, and dozens of things to see and do to keep you occupied. You’ll be able to enjoy hundreds of waterfalls, gorgeous beaches, lush rainforests, and a friendly atmosphere.
- Togitogiga Waterfall: Originally a swimming hole for Samoa’s great warriors, the Togitogiga Waterfall cascades into a beautifully calm pool. Best experienced during the wet season, when you’ll find calm waters and a stunning view.
- Sua Ocean Trench: Arguably one of the most photogenic swimming places in Samoa, the Sua trench is a volcanic pool fed by oceanic tides in a lush rainforest setting. You’ll get cliff top views, beautiful gardens and more.
- Falealupo Rainforest Preserve: Conquer your fear of heights by crossing the 30m hanging bridge in this preserve. The bridge will take you right across the canopies of two huge trees for a stunning and heart-pounding view.
Many of America’s rich and famous call Miami home, and the city is a melting pot of ethnicities and cultures. This destination is home to world-renowned Art Deco buildings, a sun-soaked party strip, dozens of Cuban and Hispanic-influences, and gorgeous beaches. Take a week and explore the rich cultural history that Miami offers.
- Little Havana: Often called Miami’s “Cuban Heart”, Little Havana is a neighbourhood made up predominantly of immigrants from the Caribbean island nation, with a vibrant culture, busy restaurants, and many Latin-American galleries and other artistic hotspots. Talk a walking tour and experience cafes with walk-up windows, open markets and more.
- Millionaire’s Row Cruise: This short, 90-minute cruise will take you around Biscayne Bay where you’ll see some of the best possible views of the Miami skyline. Your guide will give you the rich history of this affluent area, and you’ll pass by the infamous Millionaire’s Row, which many celebrities call home.
- Airboats and Everglades Tour: Take a private tour of Miami’s iconic Everglades in an open air boat! You’ll see wildlife, take in beautiful scenery, and enjoy the rich history of the Everglades as presented by your Airboat captain.
Short holiday trip ideas
Maybe you only have a few days to get away and enjoy a holiday, and you want to make the most of it. If so, there are several short holiday trips you can take, all of which provide unique experiences for all.
Just a short, three-hour flight from Sydney, New Caledonia is perfect for a weekend getaway. Packed with French culture and cuisine and a golfer’s paradise, New Caledonia is the ideal way to improve your golf handicap and enjoy beautiful beaches.
- Le Musée Maritime de Nouvelle-Calédonie: A history- and boat-lovers paradise, this museum is only a five-minute walk from the cruise terminal. It features exhibits on the first explorations by James Cook, and continues on to cover the experiences of French navigator Laperouse.
- Upi Bay: An excellent place to snorkel and see a variety of tropical fish, Upi Bay is perfect for relaxation. You’ll enjoy very fine, white sand beaches with dozens of local vendors selling trinkets and food.
- Amedee Lighthouse Tour: Spend the day exploring the dreamy blue waters that surround this historic lighthouse. Situated in the world’s largest lagoon, this is one of the tallest lighthouses on the planet, and you can enjoy lunch at the top.
A one and a half-hour flight direct from Melbourne and a two-hour flight from Sydney, Kangaroo Island is the perfect escape for a three-day holiday. You’ll see wild coastline, rugged bush, breathtaking wildlife and warm locals that welcome tourists with open arms.
- Kelly Hill Caves and Conservation Park: Take a day and go on a guided tour of the Kelly Hill Caves system. This walking tour features information on how parts of the caves came to be, as well as stunning views.
- Hope Cottage Museum: Housed in one of the three original cottages from the island’s early settlement in 1859, this museum comes packed with information about the settlement of Kangaroo Island.
- Kangaroo Island Ocean Safari: Swim with the dolphins on this two hour ocean safari. Departing at 12 daily, you’ll be able to snorkel, swim with dolphins, swim with seals and much more.
Travel and vacation safety tips
No matter if you plan a long or short holiday, it’s essential that you keep a few travel safety tips in mind2. These tips will help ensure that you have a fun and safe experience the entire time you’re away.
- Research before you go and heed travel warnings
- Register your travel contact details in the event of an emergency
- If travelling internationally have a valid passport and keep it secure
- Use an accredited travel agent to book your destination
- Plan your accommodation
- Never leave your bags unattended
- Keep a close count on your travel money
- Tell someone where you plan to travel
- Consider travel insurance to cover you for a range of emergencies
Prior to making a decision on a travel insurance product, ensure you review the Product Disclosure Statement which explains features and limitations of the cover.
Compare travel insurance policies with iSelect
With iSelect you can easily compare travel insurance policies online from our range of providers, and select the policy which suits you. Get started in just a few simple clicks!
*iSelect does not compare all travel insurers or policies in the market. Travel insurance is only available through our website and not all policies are available at all times or in all areas. Not all policies made available from our partners are compared by iSelect and due to commercial arrangements and customer circumstances not all policies compared by iSelect will be available to all customers. Click here to view iSelect’s range of providers.
iSelect General Pty Limited ABN 90 131 798 126, AFS Licence Number: 334115. Any advice provided by iSelect is of a general nature and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You need to consider the appropriateness of any information or general advice iSelect gives you, having regard to your personal situation, before acting on iSelect’s advice or purchasing any policy. You should consider iSelect’s Financial Services Guide which provides information about our services and your rights as a client of iSelect. iSelect receives commission for each policy sold.