Privacy Collection Notice – Life Insurance
Thanks for using our services! We’re committed to protecting your personal information. Here we explain how iSelect Limited (ABN 48 124 302 932) and its group companies (together, iSelect or we) handle the personal information you give us when you use our Life Insurance comparison service.
- What we collect and how we collect it
We provide a Life Insurance Comparison Service which allows you to:
- compare different life insurance policies; and
- apply for and purchase a life insurance policy directly from an insurer.
We operate our Life Insurance Comparison Service online and through our call centre. When you use our Comparison Service, we collect details such as your name, address, email address, and telephone number. We also collect information about your personal circumstances, such as the number of dependents you have, your insurance history, basic financial information and whether you’re a smoker to provide you with a comparison of policies that may meet your needs. If you decide to buy a policy through us, we’ll collect additional information including more detailed information about your medical history, financial circumstances and your payment details.
If we need you to give us personal information about another person, it’s important that you let the person know we have collected their information and that they can ask to access and correct the information we hold about them.
If you don’t provide us with the information we need, or if you provide us with incorrect or incomplete information, then we may not be able to provide you with our Comparison Service or help you to purchase a life insurance policy.
We may collect information from anyone that you’ve authorised to act on your behalf and from health assessment service providers.
- Why we collect personal information
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information so that we can:
- provide you with our Comparison Service;
- assess and complete your application for life insurance;
- determine your eligibility for and fulfil any special offer you’ve redeemed in connection with your purchase;
- verify your identity and manage any enquiries or complaints you have after you’ve purchased a policy through us;
- improve our understanding of your interests in relation to our services and offers, including improving our data analytics capability to provide our customers with better comparisons;
- conduct research and perform surveys to improve our understanding about your experience and views on life insurance;
- monitor our service for quality control and training purposes;
- manage our internal financial management and accounting; and
- ensure we meet our legal obligations.
- Direct Marketing & Opting Out
We use personal information to inform you about products and offers that we think you may be interested in, including special offers, promotions and events. We may do this by email, telephone, SMS or social media.
If you don’t want to receive any marketing material from us, you can opt-out by:
- Clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in an email you’ve received;
- Sending us a request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Calling us on 13 19 20; or
- writing to the Privacy Officer, iSelect Ltd, 294 Bay Road, Cheltenham, Vic 3192.
- Who we share your personal information with
If you decide to apply for or buy a particular life insurance policy, we’ll share your information with the insurer provider so that we can complete the sale. If the insurer contacts you directly, they may provide us with information collected from you.
We use service providers to help us provide the Comparison Services. We take steps to ensure that all our service providers agree to protect the privacy and security of your personal information, and that they only use it for the purposes in this Notice.
These service providers help us by:
- assessing your application in light of the health information you have provided;
- operating a call centre that assists customers to complete their application during extended hours;
- providing us with software so that we can run comparisons,
- keeping records related to our Comparison Service and any sale if you decide to buy through us;
- monitoring our telephone calls for quality control and training purposes so we can keep improving our customer service;
- providing us with our office management software, such as email;
- providing us with software that supports communication between our IT systems, including Australian-hosted cloud services; and
- supporting our electronic direct marketing activities, such as sending our marketing emails.
Some of the service providers are located overseas. This means we may disclose personal information to overseas providers who are located in the Fiji, South Africa and the United States.
We also share your personal information with other companies within the iSelect group for the purposes we’ve already mentioned.
- Got a question or complaint?