- Home Loan Calculators
- How Much Can I Borrow For My Home Loan?
- Refinance Your Home Loan
- Fixed Rate Home Loans
- Interest Only Home Loans
- Variable Rate Home Loans
- Fixed vs Variable Interest
- Debt Consolidation
- Lenders Mortgage Insurance
- Home Equity Loans
- Interest Rates Information
- Mortgage Brokers
- First Home Buyer Grant
- Stamp Duty
- Investing In Property
- What To Consider Before Buying
- Finance Tips For Renovators
- Pre-Renovation Checklist
- Renovating vs Buying a New Home
- Home Loans Comparison Guide
- Home Loan Application Checklist
- 10 Mortgage Repayment Tips
- About Home Loans
- Home Loan Lenders
- Best Home Loan Rates
- No Deposit Home Loans
- NAB Home Loans
- Westpac Home Loans
Refinancing Your Home Loan to Make a Purchase
If you’ve been paying off your home for some time, it’s likely you have equity in your property. Accessing this equity may assist you with making another purchase.
But what is equity and what kind of purchases can it help fund? To help answer those questions and more, we’ve put together this handy guide to how it all works.
What is equity?
Put simply, equity is the difference between the value of the property and what you owe the lender. If you’ve paid off a considerable chunk of your home loan or your house has increased in value since you purchased it, you could be sitting on a reasonable amount of equity.
If you decide to refinance your home loan, your current lender, a new lender or mortgage broker will be able to calculate your usable equity, which is the amount of equity they will allow you to access.
What can you purchase with your equity?
Equity can be accessed for lifestyle improvements, such as the purchase of a car, travel, home renovations, an investment property and more. However, make sure you consider any tax implications once you redraw it.
What are the benefits?
There are many potential benefits to refinancing your home loan to access equity, including:
- Lifestyle affordability. Most people have dreams that they hope to achieve at some point in the future. Accessing equity means being able to make those dreams a reality.
- Improving your overall financial situation. If you use the funds to renovate your home, you could be growing equity by increasing the overall property value.
- Building an investment portfolio. Similarly, if you are accessing equity to purchase an investment property, you’re potentially building your wealth.
- Lower interest. Personal loans, car loans and credit cards are likely to have higher interest rates than home loans. Refinancing your home loan to make a purchase allows you to avoid these higher rates.
What are the drawbacks?
Despite these benefits, refinancing home loans to access equity isn’t for everyone.
Before you decide to go ahead, make sure you take the time to consider any possible drawbacks, including:
- Fees. It’s important to consider the cost of refinancing, as there may be fees associated with exiting your previous loan and applying for a new loan.
- More debt. It’s also essential to realise that you are increasing the amount that you owe the bank, which means you will be increasing your monthly repayments.
Where to start
A qualified mortgage broker can help you work out whether refinancing your home loan to make a big purchase is appropriate for your financial situation.
In the meantime, finding ways to pay off your home loan faster will help you continue to build the equity in your home, and increase your ability to achieve multiple financial goals at once.
If you’re curious about accessing the equity in your home, a qualified mortgage broker can help you explore your options. Call 13 19 20 to speak to an iSelect broker today or complete an online home loan needs analysis here.
iSelect powered by AFG does not compare all home loan lenders or products in the market. Some products may only be available from iSelect powered by AFG’s call centre. The availability of products may change from time to time. Not all products available from iSelect powered by AFG’s providers are compared due to commercial arrangements, your stated needs and circumstances. Not all products compared by iSelect powered by AFG will be available to all customers. Click here to iSelect powered by AFG’s range of lenders. Home loans products arranged by iSelect Mortgages Pty Ltd (ACN 148 217 181) powered by AFG, is an authorised credit representative of Australian Finance Group Limited (Australian Credit Licence Number 389087). Any advice provided in this email/article is of a general nature and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You need to consider the appropriateness of any information or general advice iSelect gives you, having regard to your personal situation, before acting on iSelect powered by AFG’s advice or purchasing any product. iSelect receives commission for each product sold.