Home Insurance for storm cover & hail damage

If you have a Home Insurance policy in place, or are looking for one, read on to find out what you may need to know about being covered for storm and hail damage.
Insurance for a Watch
*iSelect does not compare to all home and contents insurers in the market. The availability of policies may change from time to time. Not all policies made available from iSelect’s providers are compared by iSelect and due to commercial arrangements, area or availability, not all policies compared by iSelect will be available to all customers. See below for our range of home and contents insurers. Some policies are only available from iSelect’s call centre or online. Our advice on this website is of general nature and does not consider your situation or needs. Consider if any advice is appropriate for you before acting on it.

Written by

Find out more about how we make money.

View our Privacy Policy.

Find out more about how we make money.

View our Privacy Policy.

Compare home and contents insurance the easy way*

Save time and effort by comparing a range of home and contents insurance policies with iSelect

As Australia has an incredibly large land mass, our country sees a wide range of climates and weather events.

From Tassie’s arctic winds, Western Australia’s hot summers, and northern Queensland’s tropical weather – the drastic differences in climate mean different things for homes and lifestyles across the country.

While extreme weather events are rare, there are many regions in Australia that are affected by hail and storm damage.

What does storm & hail damage cover usually insure?

This type of cover tends to vary between insurers, but there are a few areas of common ground.

Generally speaking, if your Home and Contents policy includes insurance for storm & hail damage, it could help cover the costs to repair or rebuild your home in the event of loss or damage from:

  • Severe winds;
  • Lightning or lightening-induced power surges;
  • Disruptive movements in the ground or soil due to landslides, or earth erosion soon after a storm;
  • Fallen tree branches and trunks;
  • Excess rainwater that has burst out from pipes or drains;
  • Excess rainwater that’s flooded in from nearby areas after a storm.

What’s not typically covered?

In some cases, your Home and Contents Insurance policy might not help you provide cover for costs in the event of loss or damage from the following:

  • Floods. This is a big one to check as some providers may include cover for flood, storm or hail damage altogether in one policy, while others may offer them as separate extras. It can also be dependant on where you live.
  • Sea movements such as tsunamis, tidal surges or high tides.
  • Rainwater that’s flooded into your home from
  • previous structural damage in your house (not a flood);
  • Broken or unstable fixtures and fittings in your house that haven’t been properly maintained over months or years.
  • Swimming pool covers or spa covers.
  • Rigid structures or walls that hold soil (a.k.a: retaining walls).
  • Sporting courts, surfaces, or fields.

As always, if you’d like to get down to the nitty-gritty, it’s important to read through your policy’s product disclosure statement to understand any specific exclusions.

What are the benefits of having storm & hail damage covered?

While some regions are more storm-prone than others, storms and hail can strike almost anywhere in Australia, so you’ll need to decide whether or not to protect your home and belongings from these weather events.

The benefits of having storm and hail damage insurance include the following:

  • If your home is damaged from storm or hail, then your provider could help you cover costs for necessary repairs or rebuilds.
  • You could get help covering costs to replace roof or tile damage on your home.
  • Some insurers also may include flood cover as part of storm and hail damage cover, giving your Home and Contents a wider range of cover from extreme weather events.
  • Some insurers may also provide assistance for temporary accommodation or rent cover for limited time periods if your home is inhabitable after storm or hail damage.

If any of the benefits we’ve listed here are things you have considered you want to be covered for, but they’re not listed in your current Home and Contents product disclosure statement..

How do I find out if I live in a storm & hail-prone area?

The Bureau of Meteorology provides a list of guidelines for preparation and safety during thunderstorms. If you read through the list of resources, you’ll find that each state and territory has its own emergency services contact number.

Tropical cyclones may also accompany storms in northern regions of Western Australia, Northern Territory, and Queensland. The Bureau of Meteorology also provides information about tropical cyclone trends in Australia, so you can learn more about how and why these events occur in your area.

Generally speaking, tropical cyclones across the northern and western Australian coasts tend to occur more during La Niña years (when sea surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean are colder than average) and less so during El Niño years (when sea surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean are warmer than average).

Can I apply for storm & hail damage cover if I don’t have Home and Contents insurance?

While it’s typically offered under a Home and Contents Insurance policy, some insurers may provide standalone storm and hail damage cover as a standalone policy – but this is quite rare.

In many cases, the definition of what constitutes storm and hail damage can also vary from insurer to insurer. This is another thing to be on the lookout for when searching for a suitable policy, or when you read through the product disclosure statement.

Where can I compare policies*?

When you’re ready to start comparing options for storm and hail damage insurance, hop online with us at iSelect and we’ll help you compare a range of providers . Get started online, or call our friendly team on 13 19 20.

Last updated: 6/12/2021