- Understanding Home And Contents Insurance
- Your Guide To Renters Insurance
- A Home Owner’s Guide To Home And Contents Insurance
- Home And Contents FAQ
- Contents Insurance Explained
- Landlord Insurance Explained
- Claiming Home And Contents Insurance
- Home & Contents Queensland
- Fire Insurance
- Mobile Phone Insurance
- The Average Value Of Home Contents
- NRMA Home & Contents
- Coles Home & Contents Insurance
- The Best Home & Contents Insurance
- Smart Homes
NRMA Home and Contents Insurance
|iSelect does not compare or sell NRMA products. NRMA is not an iSelect partner, nor is iSelect commercially affiliated with NRMA in any way. For a full list of the providers iSelect does compare, please visit our partners page.|
NRMA Insurance offers a wide range of insurance products designed to protect the things you care about. The company is backed by IAG, the leading general insurer in Australia and New Zealand1, and has been operating for over 90 years2.
NRMA has a number of home insurance products3, including Home Building and Contents – a combined home and contents offering that covers you for a range of events and household items.
In this article, we’ll look at what NRMA’s Home Building and Contents insurance offers, and the features and benefits of this product.
Why choose Home Building and Contents Insurance from NRMA?
Choosing a combined Building and Contents insurance policy from NRMA means you’ll be covered if your home is damaged or destroyed by an event such as a fire or storm4, as well as having cover for your household items4.
With a wide range of inclusions covering things like theft and vandalism and temporary accommodation4, NRMA’s combined Building and Contents insurance gives you the peace of mind that both your home and possessions are protected should the worst happen. Plus, NRMA offers a lifetime guarantee for any authorised repair work on your home.
What’s included in NRMA’s Home Building and Contents Insurance?
Home Building and Content insurance from NRMA covers you for all sorts of unforeseen events and incidents. Here’s what you could be covered for by your Home Building and Contents insurance policy4:
- Emergency repairs: You’re covered for urgent repairs, with a 24/7 service
- Unlocked doors or windows: Your items are covered even if you forget to lock up
- Repairing/rebuilding your home: NRMA will pay to repair or rebuild your home up to the insured amount if it’s damaged by a covered event
- Theft and vandalism: Your items are covered if they’re stolen or damaged in a robbery or vandalism incident, including stolen keys
- Fire: In the event of a fire (including bushfires), you’ll be covered for loss and damage to your home and items
- Water and oil leaks: You’re covered for damage to your home and items caused by water and oil leaks, such as from a burst pipe
- Flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge: Your policy will cover you in the event of flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge event
- Broken glass: Be covered for accidentally broken glass and ceramic in your furniture and some permanent fixtures
- Impact damage: You’re covered in the event of impact damage from things like vehicles and trees
- Lightning: Damage and power surges resulting from lightning are covered
- Temporary accommodation: NRMA will pay for temporary accommodation if your home can’t be lived in after a covered event
- Liability for injury or damage: Legal liability is covered – in some situations up to $20 million – if someone is injured or their property is damaged at your home
- Building materials: Renovating? You’ll be covered for loss or damage to building materials at your home (by a covered event), up to an amount of $1,000
- Demolishing and removing debris: If your home is damaged beyond repair by a covered event, you’ll be covered for the cost of demolishing it and removing debris
- No excess for food spoilage: You’ll be covered for spoiled food and prescription medicine if your fridge stops working following a covered event
- Home rental cover: You’ll have some minimal coverage if you rent out your home (NRMA’s Landlord Insurance provides more comprehensive cover)
- Visitors’ possessions: Items belonging to your visitors are covered up to $500 if they become damage at your home by a covered event
- Moving house: If your items are damaged in a car accident while being moved to your new home, they’ll be covered
It’s important to be aware of any exclusions, limitations and other conditions that apply to the above, so make sure you read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)2.
What ‘optional extras’ can I add to my NRMA Home Building and Contents insurance?
You can choose to add a number of optional extras to your policy4, to provide you with even greater coverage and protection. Optional extras available from NRMA include:
- Accidental damage: Choose to be covered for damage to buildings and belongings caused by unintentional accidents in your home
- Motor burnout: Add cover for electric motor fusion in devices like your fridge or air con – this includes parts and labour
- Pet Lover’s Pack: Perfect for pet owners, this covers vet fees if your cat or dog is in an accident, as well as accommodation for your pet after a covered event
- Valuable contents: You can increase your cover for certain valuable items in your home, such as artworks, jewellery and collectibles
- Portable contents: Choose to cover items like glasses, jewellery and luggage when you take them out of your home
What isn’t included in NRMA’s Home Building and Contents insurance?
The following items aren’t included in the standard NRMA Home Building and Contents insurance policy4 – however, you can upgrade to Home Plus for greater coverage.
- Safety net: Your building and contents are only covered up to the insured amount. If you upgrade to Home Plus, you can receive an extra 25% on top of this amount if it’s not enough.
- Plants, trees and shrubs: Damage to plants trees or shrubs isn’t covered by a standard policy, but is covered by a Home Plus policy.
Can I upgrade my NRMA Home Building and Contents insurance policy?
For an even more comprehensive level of cover for your home and contents, you can choose to upgrade to NRMA’s Home Plus policy4.
Home Plus provides premium protection for your home, offering all the benefits of standard home insurance, plus a range of additional benefits. Here’s what you get with Home Plus4:
- An extra 25% on top of your insured amount to rebuild, repair or replace your home and items, if required
- Automatic cover for accidental damage to your home and items
- Automatic cover for electric motor burnout or fusion in devices such as fridges and air con
- Cover for up to $2,000 of damage to plants, trees and shrubs
Want to compare Home & Contents policies the easy way?
Finding a home & contents insurance policy doesn’t have to be time consuming and painstaking. With iSelect, you can compare home and contents policies from our range of available policies side by side and select the one which suits you. Compare policies online today, or call our friendly team on 13 19 20.
iSelect does not compare all home and contents insurance providers or policies in the market. The availability of policies will change from time to time. Some policies may only be available through iSelect’s contact centre. Not all policies available from our providers are compared by iSelect and due to commercial arrangements, your stated needs and circumstances, not all policies compared by iSelect will be available to all customers. Click here to iSelect’s range of providers.
iSelect General Pty Limited ABN 90 131 798 126, AFS Licence Number: 334115. Any advice provided by iSelect is of a general nature and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You need to consider the appropriateness of any information or general advice iSelect gives you, having regard to your personal situation, before acting on iSelect’s advice or purchasing any product. You should consider iSelect’s Financial Services Guide which provides information about our services and your rights as a client of iSelect. iSelect receives commission for each product sold.