Renting And Contents Insurance

Contents insurance is optional and could give you protection for some of your personal items.
Young woman walking into her home smiling

Compare home and contents insurance the easy way

Save time and effort by comparing a range of home and contents insurance policies with iSelect*

What is Contents Insurance?

Contents insurance covers you for the replacement value of some personal belongings and effects due to theft or damage. This can include things like furniture, appliances, clothes, electronics, computers, artwork and jewellery. Note that certain coverage limits apply.

A common misconception when renting can be that your landlord will cover you if your belongings are lost in a fire or other calamity. Your landlord will usually be responsible to cover any damage to the building itself; but not for your belongings.

It’s important you review the Product Disclosure Statement for information about policy inclusions, limitations and exclusions prior to making any purchase decision.

Getting started with Contents Insurance

Insurers may ask you to provide an estimate of how much your house contents are worth. This can include items inside your home that belong to you and your family, such as:

  • furniture and furnishings
  • computers and electrical appliances
  • kitchenware
  • clothing and shoes
  • personal effects like jewellery, sunglasses and cameras
  • carpets – loose and fitted
  • internal blinds, curtains and window coverings.

To insure specific items when you take them away from your home, you may need to add an additional cover to your policy.

Contents insurance for renters

With contents insurance you could be covered up to the policy limits if your belongings are stolen, damaged or destroyed.

If you own expensive jewellery, artwork or other items, you may have to add these as separate items on your policy to ensure they are covered.

Contents Insurance for renters can give you coverage in the event that something happens to your personal belongings.

iSelect can help you by comparing home and contents insurance from our range of policies and providers*.