- Lifetime Health Cover Loading (LHC)
- Best Health Insurance
- Cheap Health Insurance
- What Is The Medicare Safety Net?
- Health Insurance Claim Process
- Health Insurance Tax
- The Medicare Levy
- Penalties & Benefits
- How To Save On Health Insurance
- The Medicare Levy Surcharge (MLS)
- Australian Government Health Rebate
- Health Insurance Rate Rise
- Health Insurance & COVID-19 FAQ
- Coronavirus, Elective Surgery & Your Private Health Insurance
- Coronavirus & Health Insurance in Australia
- CRO Demo Module Page
- Rate Rise Knowledge Hub
- AIA Australia
- AHM Health Insurance
- NCA – Medicare Levy Surcharge – 2021
- NCA – Compare Health Insurance
- Rate Rise Calculator
- Health Cover Check-Up
- Hospital & Extras Cover
- Ambulance Cover
- Dental Cover
- Pregnancy Insurance
- Health Insurance Waiting Periods
- Medical Gap Scheme
- Australian Government Rebate
- Life Stages Health Insurance
- Why Should I Get Health Insurance?
- Joining a Health Fund
- Review your health cover
- Switching Health Funds
- Finding Suitable Health Insurance
- Tips On Selecting Health Insurance
- A Better Way To Buy Health Insurance
- Participating Health Funds
- Medibank Private Health Insurance
- Frank Health Insurance
- Australian Unity
- Bupa Health Insurance
- Latrobe Health Services
- Health Partners
- Health Insurance For IVF
- What Is Crohn’s Disease?
- Private Health Insurance Tiers
- What Is Shingles?
- What Is Eczema?
- How To Discover If You Need Health Insurance
- Health Insurance & Pre-Existing Conditions
- Health Insurance Reforms
- Health Insurance FAQs
- Health Insurance Glossary
- How We Make Money
- Cancer Health Insurance
- How To Cancel Your Health Insurance
- Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculator
- Health Insurance For Cosmetic Surgery
- Health Care Insurance
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
- What Is HICAPS?
- Health Insurance For Single Parents
- Allied Health
Filling out Your Tax Return – The Medicare Levy Surcharge and your tax return
Private Health Insurance Policy Details
Page 4 of your tax return will have a green section which you are required to complete.
These details can be found on your private health insurance statement issued from your health fund. Boxes B and C on your tax return correspond to boxes B and C on your health insurance statement.
M1 – Medicare Levy Reduction or Exemption
Only certain tax-payers are eligible to claim a reduction or exemption, please refer to your tax pack for further details.
M2 – Medicare Levy Surcharge
This section is a compulsory field. In section E, you will be asked if you have held health insurance for the full financial year (July 1st to June 30th).
If you held hospital cover for the full period – box A on your health insurance statement will equal 365 – cross YES and in box A – towards the bottom of the page – write 365, then your done! You will not be liable for the surcharge.
If you have not held cover for this full period (if box A on you health insurance statement is less than 365), cross NO and continue to down the page selecting the option which best describes you (YES or NO).
If you selected NO to the section above you may be liable for the Medicare levy surcharge. You will pay Medicare levy surcharge for; 365 less days in box A on you health insurance statement.
If you selected YES you are not liable for Medicare levy surcharge.
This website is intended to provide general information only and does not constitute financial advice and should not be taken as such. iSelect urges you to seek advice on your specific situation from your financial advisor before making a decision.
iSelect does not compare all products in the market. Not all products are available at all times.