- Cancer Health Insurance
- What is the Medicare Safety Net?
- Health Insurance Claim Process
- Best health insurance
- Cheap health insurance
- Rate Rise Calculator
- Health Cover Check-Up
- Hospital & Extras Cover
- Ambulance Cover
- Dental Cover
- Pregnancy insurance
- Health Insurance Waiting Periods
- Health Insurance Tax
- Medical Gap Scheme
- Lifetime Health Cover (LHC) Loading
- Australian Government Rebate
- Life Stages Health Insurance
- Why should I get Health insurance?
- Joining a Health Fund
- Review your health cover
- Switching Health Funds
- Finding the Right Health Insurance
- Tips On Selecting Health Insurance
- A better way to buy health insurance
- Participating Health funds
- myOwn Health Insurance
- Frank Health Insurance
- La Trobe Health Services
- Health Partners
- Health Insurance Reforms
- Health Insurance FAQs
- Health Insurance Glossary
- How We Make Money
Finding The Right Health Insurance
We know that finding the right health insurance can be difficult. Understanding the difference between hospital cover and extras cover, as well as premiums, rebates and the different levels of cover available, can be challenging.
If you are considering taking out private health insurance cover, here are a few important points we recommend you consider. Be prepared. Think about your needs and the needs of your family as you explore your health insurance options.
Consider your individual circumstances:
- Who will you cover with your policy?
- Will you take out an excess on your hospital cover?
- Will you take out extras cover?
- Would you like basic cover, or more comprehensive cover?
- Would you consider extras like physiotherapy, dental insurance or optical?
- Would you consider further extras such as chiropractic, acupuncture and psychology?
- Are you planning on starting a family?
- Do you have any other, more specific medical conditions you want covered?
Do your research. What policy would best suit your individual situation?
Consider the following key points:
- What waiting periods will affect you?
- What excess will you need to pay for a hospital visit?
- What premiums will you be paying for your health insurance policy?
- What are the annual limits applied by your health fund?
- Which policy will offer benefits for your individual requirements?
Understand the different types of cover available
Hospital cover is health insurance that covers your costs as a private patient while you are in hospital, up to the MBS (Medicare Benefit Schedule) fee. Hospital cover includes accommodation, medical treatment (theatre, doctor and pharmacy fees), prostheses, and ambulance cover (in some states).
Extras cover offers benefits for additional treatments that commonly include dental, physiotherapy and optical.
Understand the different levels of cover available
Hospital policies and extras policies vary greatly because they cover different services and offer a whole range of different rebates and benefits.
Depending on your individual or family needs, you can choose from a wide range of policy options. Be aware of what your policy does and does not cover you for.
Keep in mind that some benefits require you to serve a waiting period prior to claiming.
For more information visit: