20th September, 2017 | 3 minutes
Facebook logo image vectorLinked in vector image link your professional online profile Twitter logo image vector

The Tradies guide to Income Protection Insurance: Do you really need it?

by Sam Harrison
Insurance Geek

If you’re a builder, electrician, plumber or other type of tradesperson, you’re in a league of your own when it comes to life insurance.

First of all, unlike many other professions, it is often compulsory for you to have Income Protection Insurance (which is one form of life insurance) before you walk onto a building site – particularly if you are self-employed or a subcontractor.

Second, because you work in an occupation that has a high rate of work-related injury, your insurance premiums can be higher than other people’s, too.

Given this, it’s important that you know what to look for in your life insurance. Here are some of the common questions we get asked.

Income Protection

I have workers’ compensation. Why isn’t that enough?

Apart from the fact that many building sites stipulate that you must have Income Protection Insurance on top of workers’ compensation insurance, there are real benefits to having this extra layer of protection.

Workers’ comp will only make payouts for a limited number of years, and may not cover much of your income. Plus, it only covers you for injuries sustained in the workplace – so if you hurt yourself outside work, or get seriously ill and can’t work, you’re not covered.  Imagine if you suffered a serious injury playing sport and couldn’t work for a long time … could you and your family survive financially without some extra help?

As a tradie, what should I look for in Income Protection Insurance?

There are two key things to look out for when you’re shopping around for your Income Protection Insurance:

  • One that bypasses the waiting period on accidents, so if you were to hurt yourself tomorrow, you’d be covered; and
  • Look for fully medically underwritten cover, which assesses you for any pre-existing medical conditions when you sign up for the policy, instead of when you make a claim.

Income Protection Insurance for tradies in Australia

Are my income protection insurance premiums tax-deductible?

In most cases, the premiums for your income protection insurance are tax deductible, which is a great win come tax-time. Please check with your accountant to clarify your specific circumstances.

Ready to get started?

iSelect has a team of friendly life insurance advisors ready to help you find the right income protection insurance, no matter what your profession. Call us on 13 19 20 to learn more.

Compare Income Protection policies today

Get Started

Any advice provided in this content is of a general nature and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You need to consider the appropriateness of any information or general advice we give you, having regard to your personal situation, before acting on our advice or purchasing any product. iSelect does not compare all products in the market. Not all products are available at all times.



You might also like

Get on the list

Subscribe to receive fortnightly inspiration, articles on getting life right, advice and offers in your inbox