About Health Insurance
- Why get Health Insurance?
- Top 6 Reasons You'll do better with iSelect
- Are you paying too much on Health Insurance?
- 5 Health Insurance hot tips
- A better way to buy health insurance
- Lifetime Health Cover Explained
- Compare your Health Insurance options with iSelect
- Health Insurance Information
- Life Stages
- Participating Health funds
- Joining a health Fund
- Means Testing
- Health Insurance & Tax
- Hospital & Extras cover
- Qantas Frequent Flyer Offer
- The Medicare Levy Surcharge (MLS)
- About the Medicare Levy Surcharge
- The Medicare Levy Surcharge and Your Tax Return
- Personal Income Tax & Health Cover
- Ways to save tax on health insurance
- The Health Insurance Rebate
- Explaining the Health Insurance Rebate
- Claiming the rebate as a reduced premium
- Claiming the rebate from a Medicare office
- Claim the rebate as part of your tax return
Filling out Your Tax Return - The Medicare Levy Surcharge and your tax return
Private Health Insurance Policy Details
Page 4 of your tax return will have a green section which you are required to complete.
These details can be found on your private health insurance statement issued from your health fund. Boxes B and C on your tax return correspond to boxes B and C on your health insurance statement.
M1 - Medicare Levy Reduction or Exemption
Only certain tax-payers are eligible to claim a reduction or exemption, please refer to your tax pack for further details.
M2 - Medicare Levy Surcharge
This section is a compulsory field. In section E, you will be asked if you have held health insurance for the full financial year (July 1st to June 30th).
If you held hospital cover for the full period - box A on your health insurance statement will equal 365 - cross YES and in box A - towards the bottom of the page - write 365, then your done! You will not be liable for the surcharge.
If you have not held cover for this full period (if box A on you health insurance statement is less than 365), cross NO and continue to down the page selecting the option which best describes you (YES or NO).
If you selected NO to the section above you may be liable for the Medicare levy surcharge. You will pay Medicare levy surcharge for; 365 less days in box A on you health insurance statement.
If you selected YES you are not liable for Medicare levy surcharge.
This website is intended to provide general information only and does not constitute financial advice and should not be taken as such. iSelect urges you to seek advice on your specific situation from your financial advisor before making a decision.
iSelect - a better way to buy private health insurance
Compare, select and save from a great range of competitive options matched to your needs and budget.