About Health Insurance
- Why get Health Insurance?
- Top 6 Reasons You'll do better with iSelect
- Are you paying too much on Health Insurance?
- 5 Health Insurance hot tips
- A better way to buy health insurance
- Lifetime Health Cover Explained
- Compare your Health Insurance options with iSelect
- Health Insurance Information
- Life Stages
- Participating Health funds
- Joining a health Fund
- Means Testing
Health Insurance & Tax
- Saving tax on health insurance
- Save up to 30%
- About Medicare Levy Surcharge (MLS)
- Australian Government Rebate
- Health Insurance Premium Rate Rise
- Hospital & Extras cover
- In this Section
- 5 Private Health Insurance Hot Tips
- How to Save on Health Insurance
- Why get Private Health Insurance?
- Seven Top Tips On Health Insurance
- How do I Select Private Health Insurance?
- What is Loading?
- A Better Way to Buy Health Insurance
- Lifetime Health Cover - Please Explain?!
- Can I Switch Funds?
- Compare Participating Health Funds
- What is the difference between Hospital & Extras Cover?
- Private Health Insurance & Tax
- Save Tax on Health Insurance
- About the Medicare Levy Surcharge
- Hospital & Extras Cover
- What is Hospital Cover?
- What is Extras Cover?
What is the Difference Between Hospital & Extra's Cover?
When you organise your health insurance, you can choose one of three types of policies: Hospital cover, Extras Cover, or a Combined Policy of Hospital and Extras
Hospital Cover will cover you when you are submitted to hospital for a procedure that is medically necessary*. You will generally receive:
- Choice of doctor
- Choice of hospital
- Often a better quality of care
- Little or no waiting lists
Learn more about Hospital Cover.
Extras or Ancillaries cover
Extras or Ancillaries cover is for more day-to-day treatments that are generally conducted outside hospital.
Here are some examples of what is covered by Extras Cover:
- Visits to the dentist
- Plus lots more.
All these services are conducted "outside hospital". They are not covered under hospital cover.
Learn more about Extras Cover.
* Restrictions may apply depending on the policy chosen.
iSelect - a better way to buy private health insurance
Compare, select and save from a great range of competitive options matched to your needs and budget.