- Switching Electricity Providers
- Energy Saving Tips
- Find the Best Energy Plan
- Find a Cheaper Energy Plan
- Renewable Energy
- Electricity Providers
- Energy Comparison NSW
- Energy Comparison VIC
- Energy Comparison QLD
- Energy Comparison SA
- Energy Comparison ACT
- Family Energy Rebate NSW
- Energy Plan Comparison
- Electricity Plan Comparison
- Gas Plan Comparison
- Energy Quotes
- Qantas Frequent Flyer Offer
Solar Energy Benefits
Basics and Benefits of Solar Power
Solar power systems are an environmentally friendly way to generate electricity. Because solar power doesn’t require the burning of fossil fuels for electricity usage, it helps protect the environment by reducing carbon emissions.
Solar energy can help you save money by reducing your reliance on your energy provider, and in turn, reducing your energy bill.
How does solar power work?
When the sun shines, it produces photons. When these photons hit solar power panels, the silicon components and the conductors in the panels convert these photons into DC electricity. An inverter then converts DC electricity into 240V AC electricity suitable for home use.
How can solar power help reduce your energy bills?
Solar energy can help cut your energy bills in two ways:
- With solar energy as a power source, your dependence on your energy provider will decrease, which will help reduce your energy bills.
- If your solar power system produces more energy than you actually use, excess energy will feed back into the main electricity grid. Your energy retailer will buy this excess electricity at an agreed price (known as a feed-in tariff), which can also contribute to a reduction in your overall energy bills.
For more information on solar power, call one of our experts or use our online needs analysis to get started on comparing energy plans.