- Electricity Plan Comparison
- Gas Plan Comparison
- Energy Plan Comparison
- Switching Electricity Providers
- Electricity Suppliers
- Cheap Electricity
- Energy Quotes
- Energy Comparison ACT
- Family Energy Rebate NSW
- Energy Comparison South Australia
- Energy Comparison Queensland
- Energy Comparison Victoria
- Energy Comparison NSW
- Renewable Energy
- Save Electricity
- Qantas Frequent Flyer Offer
Energy Comparison South Australia
Whether it’s a tasting tour of the Barossa, a drive through the Adelaide Hills or sitting around a campfire in the Flinders Ranges, South Australia offers plenty of great ways to unwind.
Not so relaxing are the state’s steadily increasing gas and electricity rates. But you don’t have to keep putting up with it.
While all of the electricity generated in South Australia comes from a single source – SA Power Networks – there are still a wide range of energy providers to choose from. Switching to a better deal can be quick and easy, and may result in significant savings.
To help you find the best gas and electricity plan for your needs and budget, we’ve put together some helpful information about energy in South Australia.
The electricity market in South Australia
South Australia deregulated gas and electricity retail prices in 2013, amping up the competition between power companies by allowing them to set their own rates and discounts.
In a nutshell, deregulation means you don’t have to let mounting electricity bills take a Great Australian Bight out of your monthly budget. If you’re not happy with your current rates, you’re free to compare offers and find the right energy provider for your needs.
Living in rural South Australia and wondering whether you have to stump up more for energy than city folk? Don’t worry. Because there is only one distributor in SA, there isn’t as much price variation2 between country areas and central hubs as there is in other states.
The SA Government energy bill concession
To help with the ballooning cost of energy in SA, the state government is providing an energy concession of up to $215 a year to eligible households on low or fixed incomes.
You may be eligible for the concession if you hold one of the following cards:
- Pensioner Concession Card.
- Gold Card from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
- Low Income Health Care Card.
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.
Or if you receive one of the following Centrelink payments:
- Newstart Allowance.
- Sickness Allowance.
- Widow Allowance.
- Youth Allowance.
- Partner Allowance.
- Parenting Payment.
- Special Benefit.
- Community Development Employment Project (CDEP).
- New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS).
- Farm Household Allowance.
- War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand.
The Government of South Australia has more information about the concession and how to apply.
The future of energy in South Australia
There’s no question that South Australia is leading the way when it comes to renewable energy.
While wind power and solar are both big sources of clean energy in the Festival State, the government has implemented a number of strategies to further improve energy efficiency and reduce greenhouse emissions. Adelaide in particular is a significant user of clean energy.
South Australia’s Strategic Plan outlines a target for improving energy efficiency in residential dwellings by 15 per cent by 2020. For government buildings, the target is an even more ambitious 30 per cent improved energy efficiency by 2020.
The game plan for achieving these goals include:
- Improving the efficiency and managing the energy use of air conditioners.
- Requirements for the types of water heaters that can be installed in homes.
- A minimum six-star energy efficiency requirements for new homes.
- Providing information and advice to SA households on how to improve energy efficiency.
- The Retailer Energy Efficiency Scheme (REES), which requires larger energy providers to help households and businesses save energy.
- The National Energy Efficient Building Project (NEEBP) – an SA-led project that aims to improve energy efficiency in new buildings, renovations and additions across all states and territories.
How can iSelect help you save on energy?
Finding a better energy plan might sound like a chore, but you’d be surprised how quick and easy it is to find a great deal on gas and electricity with iSelect.
We’ll compare offers from our range of energy providers across the state and present you with the most competitive rates. That way, all you’ll have to do is choose the one that best suits your needs.
Switching providers is simple and painless, and your power supply won’t be disrupted during the changeover. Best of all, we won’t charge you a cent for our service.
So, what have you got to lose?
Finding the right gas and electricity plan is quick and easy with iSelect. Simply enter your postcode here to get started.