Tips for First Time Drivers
Young and new drivers will often face stiff premiums when they take out car insurance for the first time. And if you look at the statistics, it's not hard to see why.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics reports an over-representation of young drivers in the national road toll. Drivers aged under 25 years are considered twice as likely to die on our roads as the rest of the population. In fact, the single male is considered, by car insurers, as the most 'at risk' of being involved in a motor vehicle accident.
Data from insurer AAMI reveals that car accidents involving younger drivers are more serious and cause more property damage than those involving older drivers. This same data shows that the average cost of a car accident claim for a driver under 25 years is $2,997, compared to $2,107 for a driver over 25.
It may seem like a generalisation that is applied to policy premiums for new and young drivers, but the scene is set by these statistics.
What young drivers can do to help minimise your premiums?
- Keep a clean driving record. A good driving record will help keep your premiums lower.
- Shop around. You could save yourself a whopping $2,000, which was the difference we found just by comparing quotes on annual premiums for young drivers.
Quick tips for young drivers
- Compare quotes - get estimates from at least three different insurers.
- Look for insurers that specialise in policies for young drivers.
- Choose a safe, economical car - the more expensive your vehicle, the more costly your car insurance is likely to be.
- Install an appropriate safety device e.g. immobiliser, alarm and this may qualify you for a discount.
- Read the fine print of your policy and be clear on your coverage obligations.
- Report any modifications you make to your vehicle.
- Advise of changes to your personal circumstances as soon as possible.
- Consider enrolling in a safe driving course - you may even be rewarded by your insurer.
- Drive safely and commit yourself to keeping a clean driving record.
Get a car insurance quote at iSelect. Compare, Select & Save