- Broadband FAQs & Glossary
- Internet Options
- Internet Plans
- Internet Providers
- Getting connected to the NBN
- Choosing the right NBN plan
- The benefits of the NBN
- The different technologies of the NBN
- Internet Speeds
The benefits of the NBN
Whether you’re in line at the bank or in desperate need of your morning coffee, there’s a lot to be said for speedy service. And with so many Australians now completing everyday tasks online, the same is true of your internet service.
Of course, a good connection also makes all the difference when it comes to fun things, such as streaming movies and sports games, Skyping loved ones, and online gaming.
The good news is, the National Broadband Network (NBN) is set to supercharge our online experience by giving all Australians access to reliable internet with a range of speed options.
But just like Superman, there is more to the NBN than just lightning speed. Here are some of the benefits you can look forward to when your house is connected.
NBN vs ADSL
The most important point of difference when it comes to NBN vs ADSL is the infrastructure.
ADSL relies solely on the copper telephone lines to carry the internet service from the exchange to your home. The NBN, on the other hand, uses a mix of copper and modern fibre optic cables, replacing and upgrading the network where necessary to ensure it can deliver faster speeds and greater bandwidth.
A home installation of the new NBN technology may give you access to download speeds of up to 100Mbps unlike ADSL.
The NBN is all about planning for a future that is more connected, more efficient and more productive.
Even more benefits
As well as a choice of superfast connection speeds, there are a few other perks to the new national service.
A few of these include:
- Stay connected.A speedier connection mean you can enjoy high-quality video calls with far away friends and loved ones, or dial into an important meeting without it dropping out and freezing.
- Non-stop entertainment. Sit back, relax and stream all the music, live sports games, movies and TV shows you want without… *buffering* … the constant … *buffering* … interruptions on the right speed packages.
- Work smarter.Studying or working from home could get a whole lot easier, with faster access to online educational tools and the ability to download and upload big attachments in a flash.
While the NBN is much lauded for its choice of speeds and reliable connection, it’s important to bear in mind that the speed you experience may vary depending on the technology installed at your premises – for example, a fibre optic line to your home or wireless connection – the plan you’re on and your service provider.
As always, be sure to compare a range of offers carefully before committing to any plan.
You’ll get even more out of the NBN if you’re on the right plan. We can help you quickly and easily compare offers from our range of providers, so you can find the best plan for your needs and budget.